Monday, March 16, 2009

a rant from a dietitian's perspective

so many people have their own theory on nutrition, just the way some people think they can make up their own religion, picking and choosing theories that sound right to them. i spend so much time being preached to about nutrition and corrected by know-it-all patients during my nutrition sessions. these people will listen for one minute only after spouting off for 10. i much prefer the patients who say, no thanks, i don't want to talk about nutrition because they don't want to waste my time or their own.

and i would quit my job if i had a dollar for everyone that's sat across from me AFTER we have finished our session and told me that "i think my diet is pretty good; i know all about good nutrition." aiieee!!!!!!!!!

in my few years of experience, i've learned a lot about being culturally sensitive, sympathetic, not sounding condescending, meanwhile making relevant recommendations that are realistic. i know not to spout off too much technical mumbo jumbo and lose someone. i know to pick my battles and not try to change someone in 25 minutes. i know that nutrition is 85% common sense, and most people have some clue about what a healthy diet looks like. but i feel like i have to be a shrink, counsellor, mentor, encyclopedia and personal chef advisor! by the time i'm done doing all that, i'm exhausted, and quite frustrated. and in the end, some of them have the gall to politely tell me they knew it all already and didn't really need me to help them.

my frustration with the field of dietetics is growing. it has to be one of the most under-appreciated allied health specialties, and my colleagues agree with me on this. part of it is that verbal counseling in a sterile office on something as emotional, complex, and tortuous as the western diet is not enough for most people to bring about change. words are too easily forgotten; people forget some crazy number like 75% of what they hear within the first 10 minutes.

the irony is that someone who sells expensive nutrition gimmicks or unhealthy diet programs sees raving popularity. people are willing to go to extremes but unwilling to make a few simple changes. we are a twisted species!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds sooo frustrating! i know the coaching part of it, but not on something so very emotionally/culturally charged. any other fields you're thinking about?!

Beth said...

I would love to change fields! Cooking, baking, gardening, teaching any of the above... getting the word out that healthy lifestyles aren't impossible and can be fun... I have a dream but I don't know what it is yet.